Are you looking for a simple and delicious desi dish that you can make with halal meat? I have the perfect recipe for you!
Chicken Karahi is one of the most popular curries that has an ideal combination of meat, tomatoes, and spices, which will tantalize your taste buds! The best part is that it can be made easily in only 40-45 minutes.
The recipe uses simple ingredients and contains no finicky steps. Here is a list of the ingredients that you will need:
- 1/3rd cup of cooking oil
- 1 chopped red onion
- 5 chopped tomatoes
- 1 whole skinless halal chicken cut into 14-16 pieces
- One-third cup of yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of ginger and garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons of crushed coriander seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon of red chili powder or cayenne
- 1 ½ teaspoon of cumin
- 2 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2-3 green chilies
- ½ cup of water
- A handful of chopped cilantro leaves
It is always better to collect all the ingredients before starting the cooking process. It helps save time and keeps you organized. After you have collected all the ingredients, it is now time to start cooking.
- Take a large and heavy-bottomed wok and place it over medium heat. Then, add the oil.
- When the oil is heated, fry the chopped onions in the oil for about 6-7 minutes until their edges start to turn brown.
- Add the halal chicken pieces and give a stir to combine it with the onions. Make sure that the chicken is washed beforehand.
- Add the yogurt, salt, red chili powder, black pepper, ginger garlic paste, cumin, and coriander seeds to coat all the chicken pieces in the wok.
- Stir the contents of the wok for about 5 to 6 minutes on high heat.
- Now, toss in the chopped tomatoes, green chilis, and cilantro. Also, add water.
- Turn the heat to medium to low and cover the wok with a lid. Keep the Karahi on low flame for about 40 minutes to cook the chicken.
- Remove the lid and then turn the heat to high to evaporate the water left.
- When the water starts evaporating, start stirring the dish again.
- Keep cooking the Karahi until you notice that the curry has started to release oil. It will form a nice sheen around the edges of the wok. Now, toss in some more cilantro and chilis.
- Put the lid back on and turn the flame to the lowest level. Cook it for another 5 to 10 minutes on very low heat.
- After 5 to 10 minutes, turn off the stove. Your Chicken Karahi is ready!
This recipe makes enough curry to serve about 5 to 6 people. The dish can be enjoyed with hot pita bread or naan.