Tantalizing, savoury, and flavourful. These are the best words to describe this delicious Beef Shawarma recipe. Also known as beef wraps, Shawarmas are bursting with flavours that will make you fall in love. From the tender and juicy beef to the delightful tahini sauce, this Beef Shawarma is a formula for perfection. Don’t just believe us! Go ahead and try for yourself!
What Is Shawarma?
The word Shawarma comes from an Arabic word, meaning ‘turning’. To put it simply, Shawarma is like a sandwich with slow-cooked meat slices, an assortment of vegetables, delectable sauces and pickles. It’s traditionally served with warmed and slightly crispy pitas.
Tips for Perfecting the Beef Shawarma Recipe
Practice makes perfect. This quote can’t be more true when it comes to cooking. However, you don’t have time for rookie mistakes when it comes to it, do you? So, here are the best tips that you need to know to make the perfect Beef Shawarma.
First of all, you need to make sure that the beef is tender and flavourful. The beef is central to the recipe so you must not ruin it. If you want, you can also use chicken instead of beef.
This recipe using tonnes of ingredients. From the garam masala and cumin powder to garlic and ginger, every ingredient plays its role in making this delectable Beef Shawarma. However, if you are running out of one of the spices, you can omit it. In fact, you can also try adding your own assortment of spices to experiment with the flavours.
As far as the Beef Shawarma sauce is concerned, this recipe is made with the tahini sauce. This sauce doesn’t just taste amazing but it’s also quite simple and easy to make. All you have to do is to mix the ingredients and blend it for a few minutes. If you don’t like the garlic flavour in the tahini sauce, you can also go for a traditional BBQ sauce.
You can also experiment with the spices. For example, if you don’t like spicy food, you can decrease the pepper and crushed chilli in the Beef Shawarma. Most people like their Shawarma extra-spicy. If you are one of them, you can add green chilli with the beef before you rap the pita bread.
A bonus tip is to make some extra beef and sauce. You can use the leftover beef and serve it with a sandwich for breakfast.
What to Serve With Beef Shawarma?
If you plan to serve shawarma as a full-course meal, it is a great idea to serve it with something. One of the best (and simplest) ideas is to serve it with tahini sauce. Whoever is looking for extra sauce can use it as a dip. You can also pair up the Beef Shawarma with chilli sauces. Many people also like to enjoy the Beef Shawarma with salads.
If you want to go a step further, try Beef Shawarma with potato chips. It will add both colour and nutrients to the table. The table will be full of delicious flavours, making everyone fall in love with the dish.
For the Beef
- 500 g. beef
- ½ tsp seven spices
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- ½ tbsp of grated fresh ginger
- 3 unit garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp of plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp of lemon or vinegar
- 2 tbsp of oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Garlic Cream
- 2 eggs white
- 1 cup corn oil
- 2 tbsp of tahini sauce
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
For the Shawarma
- 6 unit pita breads
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 2 cups of cabbage finely cut into julienne strips
- 1 onion finely cut into julienne strips
- 1 tomato finely cut into julienne strips
- 1 cucumber finely cut into julienne strips
- 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- salt to taste
- In the blender, place the two egg whites, and beat on high speed for 3 minutes, then add the oil little by little, continuing to beat. When you get a mayonnaise-like consistency mix, add the garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Beat for a couple of minutes more, until you get a completely homogeneous mixture. Put the sauce in a cup, and store it in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. First the powders, the cumin, the paprika, the seven spices, and the salt. Then stir in the ginger, garlic, oil, yogurt, and lime juice.
- Then cut the meat into thin strips, about 2 to 3 cm long. Put the meat in the bowl, and rub it with the mixture of the dressings. Cover the bowl and store it in the fridge for acouple of hours.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator. Place a grill pan on the stove over high heat. When it is hot, add the oil, wait a minute, and place the pieces of meat, one by one, far enough apart. Turn and cook until golden brown. Remove from the pan, and leave them on a plate resting while heating the bread.
- Mix all the salad ingredients in a mixing bowl. Carrot, cabbage, onion, tomatoes, and cucumber. Sprinkle with lemon and salt. Mix very well.
- Heat the pita bread in the grill pan with a little oil.
- Lay the hot pita bread on a flat surface, covered with wax paper. Spread two tablespoons of garlic sauce over the entire surface of the bread. On one side of the bread, place the grilled meat, and two generous tablespoons of salad, add an additional tablespoon of garlic sauce on top and roll, folding the edges inward.
- Serve with additional sauce.